Subspecialty Programs: The Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
Comprehensive Epilepsy Program of Rhode Island Hospital/Hasbro Children's Hospital is a multidisciplinary program providing state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment services to adults and children with epilepsy. We are particularly oriented to provide comprehensive, tertiary-level care to those with more complex needs, including those whose epilepsy has proven to be refractory to first-line therapies. Disciplines involved are neurology, neurosurgery, neuropsychology, neuroradiology, clinical neurophysiology/EEG, psychiatry, nursing, nutrition and dietary .
We now offer comprehensive epilepsy diagnostic and therapeutic choices for patients treated at our center including the following:
- Four dedicated long-term (video/EEG) monitoring beds for proper diagnosis and presurgical evaluation of adult and pediatric patients with inadequately controlled seizures.
- Expertise with all of the approved anti-epileptic drugs as well as the ketogenic diet.
- Availability of sphenoidal leads and ambulatory EEG monitoring.
- Up-to-date brain imaging technologies.
- The full reportoire of traditional surgical treatmenst for epilepsy.
- Facilities for Wada testing (to determine lateralization of language and memory)
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation Therapy -- Based on our experience with VNS we are now certified as a regional "Center of Excellence" for VNS Therapy.
We interact closely with agencies for patients with epilepsy beyond RIH/Hasbro such as the Epilepsy Foundation of Massachusetts & Rhode Island for consumer information and psychosocial and educational support.
Referrals from primary care pediatricians, internists, family physicians, and neurologists, psychiatrists or neurosurgeons are welcome.
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Program Staff
- Andrew S. Blum, MD, PhD
- Medical Director, Adult Epilepsy
- Julie Roth, MD
- Adult Epilepsy
- David E. Mandelbaum, MD
- Medical Director, Pediatric Epilepsy
- Rees Cosgrove, MD
- Surgical Director
- Jeff Rogg, MD, Glenn Tung, MD, Larry M. Davis
- Richard Noto, MD
- Nuclear Medicine (SPECT)
- Geoffrey Tremont, PhD
- Chris Hardy, RD
- Dietary/Nutrition (Ketogenic Diet)
- Chris Kearns, RNP (Adult), Kerry Burke, RN (Pediatric)
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit Coordinators
- Joyce Querceto, Deborah Richard, Kevin Conway
- Inpatient/outpatient LTM
- Bill Walker, Pat Jarrett
- Ambulatory Monitoring
- Wada tests, ictal SPECT
- Intraoperative EEG monitoring
For information and referrals contact:
Mary Wilks, RN, Nurse Coordinator for the CEP, at (401) 444-7608 or e-mail to email@example.com.
Information regarding the Clinical Neurophysiology Fellowship information is provided here.
For information regarding other programs and services, such as local support groups or school and employee education programs, of the Epilepsy Foundation of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, call toll-free (888)576-9996. For information regarding specific programs in the Rhode Island/Southeastern Massachusetts area, call Mary Wilks at the number listed above.
Another source of epilepsy information is the American Epilepsy Society.